[ubuntu-uk] Advice for the future

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 01:17:40 BST 2007

And don't forget, after you've got the knowledge - talk the talk too!

I've known of many an educated chap get knocked to the side of the
road at interview by a non degree educated/lesser qualified person,
because the well studied chap lacked social skills and the ability to
talk to people (especially when you start talking about management
level).

I've seen Comp Sci grads working in customer service jobs because they
lack the confidence and get up and go to make an impression upon an
employer. Don't forget - you can be the cleverest person in the world,
but at interview unless you sell yourself, your interviewer isn't
going to drag it out of you.

It's funny. I've heard it said before (in project management) 'we can
teach anyone the hard skills, but we can't teach them how to deal with
people'. Never forget that, and remember, sometimes a bit of charm
doesn't hurt :-P

I'm rambling now, but I guess what I'm trying to say is try to be
confident, but not arrogant.

Chris