[ubuntu-uk] Clean install with separate home partition questions

Josh Blacker jkblacker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 01:08:26 BST 2007

On 10/17/07, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 23:38 +0000, Josh Blacker wrote:
> > Am currently all booted up in gutsy rc live cd, but going through the
> > installer it doesn't seem to be very intelligent about me having user
> > profiles in my /home partition. It detects the ones from my Windows
> > partition, but not the Ubuntu ones. Any ideas on why this is, and why
> > I am prompted to enter new user information? I would have thought it
> > would be able to see my exisiting Ubuntu /home.
> >

> Well, there's nothing to "import" from your existing home directory is
> there? If you want to "use" that partition, all that Gutsy needs to know
> is where it is, and it will mount it.

Surely then, there should be no need to come up with new user
information, that's my point - a little counterintuitive. I understand
where you're coming from, though.

> So during the partition section you need to specify which partition you
> want to be swap, which is / and which is /home. Make sure you tell it
> not to format /home, but it will want to format / I suspect :)

The annoying thing is, the installer lists my partitions as
/media/sda1 etc, but Nautilus as /media/disk etc, which don't even
seem to correspond! I may have to jump in and pray for the best...
Perhaps I'm just being tired and slow!

> Cheers,
> Al.

Thanks,