[ubuntu-uk] Which do you use?

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Mon Oct 15 17:25:44 BST 2007

** Peter Lewis <prlewis at letterboxes.org> [2007-10-12 11:00]:
> On Friday 12 October 2007 at 10:54:18 Wulfy wrote:
> > I was wondering how many people on-list used any of the alternate forms
> > of Ubuntu - Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu etc.  I mostly see references to
> > the plain Ubuntu...
> >
> > I use Kubuntu, btw...  Just can't stand that evil Gnome...  :@)
>
> Yep, Kubuntu too. Let's not turn this into a flame-war, but I do find the

Ditto - as in the flame bit, not the Kubuntu bit...

> Gnome interface just a bit too mindnumbingly oversimple (to the extent of it
> being hard to use) :-P

Initially I stuck with Gnome when I first tried Ubuntu, but now I'm
working on switching back to XFCE where I feel most at home. I've yet to
work out where the differences between the XUbuntu (well, Ubuntu +
xubunut-desktop - some of the office apps) and my old Debian + XFCE
install stem from - things like when you highlight something it
automatically goes to the clipboard. For me Ubuntu takes more tweaking
to get to a nice desktop than Debian does, but I'm still working on it
:)

I haven't played with KUbuntu, but did have a look at PCLinuxOS
recently, and need to again since the battery monitor worked on my
laptop whereas the Ubuntu one on Gnome doesn't. I gave up on KDE very
quickly back in the 90s when I first looked at it because I felt it was
trying too hard to be like Windows, whereas Gnome was doing its own
thing and trying to be a good desktop for Linux (or etc.) and pulling
ideas for places other than Windows. My recent usage hasn't changed my
opinion much, although my recent use of Gnome, and particularly Nautilus
has led me to be less than enthusiastic. I'm not a big fan of a single
application that browses your folders, or the internet, or burns CD, or
makes the tea, or cleans the kitchen sink, or etc. - and I've not yet
dug far enough to work out what Nautilus does with drives you mount
through it (I often want to dive into the CLI and head to the same
directory I'm viewing).
** end quote [Peter Lewis]