[ubuntu-uk] package removal.

Wed Oct 10 20:36:37 BST 2007

norman wrote:
>>> Do you mean that even though I think I have removed a package it is
>>> stored somewhere on the hard drive and is accessible to some utility
>>> or other in Ubuntu?
>> Yes there is a cache in /var/cache/apt/archives/ so it might have still
>> been there, but if it wasn't and was a dependency of the plugin you
>> installed apt would have downloaded the package from the repository
>> server on the internet.
>
> Thanks, I can understand that, it's just that I thought I would have to
> give permission for something to be loaded.
>
> Norman

You probably did. The packages stored in the archives are packages that
you downloaded, or dependencies for those packages (which you would have
agreed to download when you downloaded the original package) - at least
as far as I know. I think the main point is that it keeps copies of the
packages you download so that if you decide to reinstall them it doesn't
have to get them again. Also, it means that if a download halts partway
through, you dont have to re-download the packages you have already got.

I hope all that is right - i'm sure i'll be corrected if it isn't

Chris Oattes (irc.freenode.net - Seeker`)