[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy or Feisty for install party?

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:11:35 BST 2007

Gutsy is still breaking things from time to time for me - not
something you want to put a new user through, and would hardly give a
good impression. Get hold of some of the nice shiny pre-pressed Feisty
live disks if you can...

Pete

On 10/10/2007, Philip Newborough <mail at philipnewborough.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/10/2007, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 10:19 +0100, Philip Newborough wrote:
> > > I'm off to an install party tomorrow night and I've arranged with the
> > > organiser to take along some Ubuntu disks. Basically, what are your
> > > opinions on which version to take along?
> > >

> > Personally I would not install gutsy on someone elses computer. My
> > computers are my responsibility, if I balls them up I have nobody else
> > to blame but me.
> >
> > How about installing feisty and giving them instructions on how to
> > upgrade to gutsy when it releases - maybe show them a screencast :)
> >
> > http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/MoS2007/11_Updating_and_Upgrading
> >
> > That one shows how to upgrade from one release to another.
> >
> > > I've got a feeling I'll probably end up taking a mix, however it'd be
> > > nice to hear what your opinions are.
> > >

> > You could also take Gutsy alternate CDs, so that you could install
> > feisty, and give them the alternate CD to upgrade from (if they wish),
> > then it's their responsibility if they naff it up.
> >
> > > BTW - I'm still running Feisty and have yet to try Gutsy, I really
> > > should pull my finger out and try the Beta but my systems are running
> > > very smoothly at the mo and I have quite a bit of work on.
> > >

> > I run Gutsy on three laptops and one server and Feisty on one desktop
> > and my main server. I'm loving Gutsy.
> >
> > > More info about the meeting can be read at:
> > > http://crunchbang.org/archives/2007/10/09/lincs-lug-meeting-and-install-party/
> > >

> > Good luck!
> >
> > Take photos, and if you spend a lot of time doing ubuntu based
> > activities you could blog it and submit the link to Ubuntu Weekly News.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Al.
>
> Thanks Al, you confirmed what I was thinking. Even though I've only
> heard good things about Gutsy I'd still feel more comfortable using
> the current version.
>
> I think I'll end up burning a few disks and also taking my laptop
> along with the iso files -- that way if anyone wants a copy I can
> quickly burn one off.
>
> And thanks too for the idea about the photos!
>
> Cheers
>
> Philip

'In letters of gold, on a snow-white kite, I will write "I Love You!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!'

RIP Billy M 1957-1997