[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy or Feisty for install party?

Philip Newborough mail at philipnewborough.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 12:03:06 BST 2007

On 10/10/2007, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 10:19 +0100, Philip Newborough wrote:
> > I'm off to an install party tomorrow night and I've arranged with the
> > organiser to take along some Ubuntu disks. Basically, what are your
> > opinions on which version to take along?
> >

> Personally I would not install gutsy on someone elses computer. My
> computers are my responsibility, if I balls them up I have nobody else
> to blame but me.
>
> How about installing feisty and giving them instructions on how to
> upgrade to gutsy when it releases - maybe show them a screencast :)
>
> http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/MoS2007/11_Updating_and_Upgrading
>
> That one shows how to upgrade from one release to another.
>
> > I've got a feeling I'll probably end up taking a mix, however it'd be
> > nice to hear what your opinions are.
> >

> You could also take Gutsy alternate CDs, so that you could install
> feisty, and give them the alternate CD to upgrade from (if they wish),
> then it's their responsibility if they naff it up.
>
> > BTW - I'm still running Feisty and have yet to try Gutsy, I really
> > should pull my finger out and try the Beta but my systems are running
> > very smoothly at the mo and I have quite a bit of work on.
> >

> I run Gutsy on three laptops and one server and Feisty on one desktop
> and my main server. I'm loving Gutsy.
>
> > More info about the meeting can be read at:
> > http://crunchbang.org/archives/2007/10/09/lincs-lug-meeting-and-install-party/
> >

> Good luck!
>
> Take photos, and if you spend a lot of time doing ubuntu based
> activities you could blog it and submit the link to Ubuntu Weekly News.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Thanks Al, you confirmed what I was thinking. Even though I've only
heard good things about Gutsy I'd still feel more comfortable using
the current version.

I think I'll end up burning a few disks and also taking my laptop
along with the iso files -- that way if anyone wants a copy I can
quickly burn one off.

And thanks too for the idea about the photos!

Cheers

Philip