[ubuntu-uk] package removal.

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:03:20 BST 2007

Hi Norman,

On 09/10/2007, norman <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> I had 2 versions of Gimp on my machine and I only wanted one, so I
> removed the old, unwanted package using synaptic. I then tried to
> install a plugin in the remaining package. Imagine my amazement when not
> only was the plugin not installed in the version of Gimp remaining but
> it was installed in the old version which had miraculously reappeared.
>
> What must I do to ensure that the old version stays well and truly
> removed, please?
>
> Norman

You didn't say, but I'm assuming that you're installing the plugin
through synaptic too.

I would guess that the plugin you're trying to install is targetted at
the old version of Gimp. So it's a problem with the dependencies of
that plugin package.

The easiest thing to do is raise a bug against the plugin package,
asking for it to support the new Gimp version. Other than that, you'd
have to download the package source and hack the dependencies -- I've
never tried this, so I don't know how easy/hard it is.

Hwyl,
Neil.