[ubuntu-uk] Home Servers Update

Matthew Daubney daubers at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 17:45:22 BST 2007

Daniel Lamb wrote:
> Why not ask around family and friends?
>
> Surely someone will have an old laptop or even old pc which is less power
> hungry.
>
> To be honest I wouldn’t be over bothered about the energy (I say that as
> someone who provides IT support to an energy company) as there is plenty and
> its not a lot of money, and what you could do is run that then wait a bit to
> buy a cheap laptop or less power hungry pc as one will come up.
>
> Obviously the green people won't like this so I'm sorry.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Hey all,

Thought I would pass on an update. I found an old laptop that I had been
raiding for parts that just needed a new HDD to make it work as an
acceptable server. After a trying time of both feisty and gutsy telling
me that the processor was too old for the kernel, I finally managed to
get the i386 kernel installed and working.

Hopefully this will keep the leccy bill down a bit!!

Thanks very much for all your suggestions and ideas.

-Matt Daubney