[ubuntu-uk] Fsck forced on boot up due to date problems after update

Farran Lee fazzy.baboon at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 5 22:15:33 BST 2007

Hi Rob
just had that happen with my laptop.
Inside is a tiny battery that powers the BIOS memory (or something). My
laptop is awfully old, and the battery has finally gone flat. This means
that every time my laptop is disconnected from the mains, it forgets all
the settings I have made in the BIOS. It complains at me a lot, but I
have got round it.
The BIOS (as far as I am aware - I'm only 14, so don't quote me on this)
manages the system clock as well - consequently, it forgets the time and
date. Now, when I boot up, it complains that it has not had a system
check for several thousand days (last time I worked it out, it was over
316 years). This obviously cannot be the case! When an error is found on
the hd and the fsck reaches the end, it normally says something like
this to me: "Errors found on hda1! Linux is going down for reboot in 5!"
My guess is that all that needs to be done is to replace the battery. It
is only a tiny round [lithium-ion?] battery.
Hope this helped... as I said, I'm only 14, so I could be talking a load
of rubbish... :P
Farran