[ubuntu-uk] Home Servers

Matthew Daubney daubers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 23:51:28 BST 2007

Mark Harrison wrote:

> I have a number of mates who install "home automation" stuff (web
> control of lights, multi-room audio and so on.)
>
> Quite a few of them have moved to laptops for the "home control servers"
> because of their ability to handle short power outages gracefully!
>
> For my home servers, I use some Via ITX stuff from www.linitx.com
>
> M.

Ok lads and ladies, I've been giving this some thought now. I can't
afford a new server machine, and probably shouldn't be running this
monster 24/7. Digging around, in my price range is a Linksys NSLU2
(about £60..) which can be reflashed with Debian.

I reckon that this would be enough (with a SATA to USB case for one of
the drives) to do what I need the server to do....... would this be a
better solution?

I had a look on ebay at laptops but most of them seem to be a con and
not have HDD's/Power Supplies, both of which are relativley expensive.

I'm open to any idea's on better solutions too!

-Matt Daubney