[ubuntu-uk] What do I need?

Tom Bamford tom at entrepreneuria.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 18:57:19 BST 2007

It really depends how the machine is set up. If the Windows installation
is on its own partition or disk, with the valuable data on another
partition, you can use the Ubuntu installer to reformat the Windows
volume and install there. Your other partitions/drives will be mounted
when the installation is complete. If your data is mixed in with the
Windows installation you will have to make backups because the Ubuntu
installer will overwrite. As long as you are careful with setting up the
partitions with Ubuntu you will be ok.

The server version of Ubuntu does not install a graphical interface,
although you can install one easily enough after installation, so you
may wish to use the desktop version if the machine is just for local
development.

Regards,
Tom