[ubuntu-uk] Home Servers

Tom Bamford tom at entrepreneuria.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 17:11:31 BST 2007

We use old laptops as servers for some tasks, mostly IBM ThinkPads
because they're very well supported in Ubuntu and because they last for
years. You don't get the performance you'd expect from a full-size unit
and expansion/redundancy options are limited, but in this context (home
networks) they're ideal. Power savings have already been mentioned, but
note that you can also run an average laptop from AA batteries, solar
panels, wind turbines etc, making mains power more a convenience than a
necessity.

Regards,
Tom