[ubuntu-uk] Home Servers

Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 08:48:36 BST 2007

I've got a laptop with a broken screen as my home server. Got it for
free from a family member but they are dirt cheap and fleabay. Its got
80GB storage, integrated UPS, (very) low power consumption and with
speedstep enabled on the CPU and laptop-mode enabled on the hard disk
its very quiet. Ideal home server even if I say so myself ;). Of course
it can't do stuff like be a MythTV backend but it streams media happily
enough. Oh and it has wifi built in so I can put it anywhere with a
power outlet. (on a shelf somewhere or in a cupboard.)