[ubuntu-uk] Small TFT monitors....

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Tue Oct 2 21:51:32 BST 2007

** Tony Travis <ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk> [2007-10-02 13:56]:
> Chris Rowson wrote:
> >> It's not a problem borrowing kit most of the time, but it would still be
> >> convenient to have a nice little portable monitor with me. I take a USB
> >> RS232 serial adapter, so I can login on a server's RS232 serial port in
> >> an emergency!
> >
> > Hey Tony,
> >
> > I know it's a bit off-topic, but thought I'd be cheeky and ask anyway!
> >
> > When you say that you can log onto a server's serial port, is that
> > ability enabled automatically when you install Ubuntu? If I where to
> > connect to a server serial port now, could i get a shell through it?
>
> Hello, Chris.
>
> It depends on what your BIOS can do more than anything else. If console
> output can be redirected to the RS32 port in the BIOS it's easy. The
> kernel doesn't know it's talking to the serial port initially. It's just
> doing BIOS calls, with i/o being redirected to the serial port by the
> BIOS itself. However, not all BIOS's support this (I'm using Tyan MB's).

If you're wanting to have a play and/or are willing to take a risk (I've
not checked the status recently) I seem to remember that the Linux BIOS
project was able to run from a serial console. I keep thinking of trying
it myself, but haven't had the time or spare motherboard to experiment
with yet.

> Logins on the serial ports are not enabled by default, but you can just
> uncomment the lines in /etc/inittab to enable them:
>
> > # Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
> > #
> > #T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
> > #T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100

Any ideas how easy it is to do this using USB to USB? The traditional
serial console is likely to be replaced in the not to distant future. I
know it can be done, at least at one end, so probably at both. I've not
investigated the sort of USB cable required though - either just one
with the correct connections at each end, or a USB data transfer cable
(as used for laplink and the like).
** end quote [Tony Travis]