[ubuntu-uk] Home Servers

John McCourt steekyjim at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 19:41:03 BST 2007

Hi, the servers section on http://ubuntuforums.com is
pretty good for those sort of questions. I also run a
file/webserver off virgin and it works pretty well.
Ubuntu has a built in firewall but if you want to make
any configurations to it then firestarter is a good
gui for your firewall. I use postfix for outgoing mail
because it's very easy to set up and have my domains
point to my ip. I buy my UK domains from
http://123-reg.co.uk and my .com domains from
http://nameroute.com and use http://zoneedit.com as my
dns provider. I think it's important to restrict
access to certain folders on your server. For example
you dont want random people being able to go to
http://www.yourname.com/phpmyadmin. For my ftp server
I use gprofftpd which is a version of proftpd that has
a  nice gui. You'll never have a fully secure system
but if you use the advice given by people here and on
the forums then you should be fine.