[ubuntu-uk] Home Servers

Matthew Daubney daubers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:24:43 BST 2007

Hey all,

I've had a machine running as an ad-hoc web/file servery thing across my
home internet connection (shared 20Mb Virgin Media stuffs (MB? I always
get the upper/lower case B's confused)) and have considered turning the
machine solely over to this after getting my nice shiny new dell laptop.

If I turned it to this permanantly (as I hope to!) I'd obviously need a
bit more info on setting it up re:security and suggested programs (I'd
end up largley running Apache/PHP/mod_mono as I'm considering going into
web design and it'd be good practice to get used to as many languages as
possible).

I'd also be considering using it as a mailserver, but have never set one
of these up, ever. So any advice on mail packages and the like would
also be much appreciated!!

The box itself is a 4GHz Hyperthreaded P4 with 1.5gb of RAM and 2*250gb
hdd's (it also currently has 2 flatscreens, but it won't need them once
it's been serverised!)

Thanks very much (as usual) for any info!

-Matt Daubney