[ubuntu-uk] Gathering Ideas from the team

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Oct 1 11:51:41 BST 2007

Hi,

We (as individuals) seem to have differing views on what the UK Team
should be doing, or trying to do. We also (as a team) come up with some
ideas now and then both on the wiki, irc and here on the mailing list.

Some of these ideas turn into projects, some just get done immediately,
others seem to disappear without a trace.

I am concerned about both of these issues and have setup a process that
I hope will help to fix it.

Introducing the UK Team Ideas Pool!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/IdeasPool

Standing on the shoulders of giants, we're directly copying the name
used by Dell (and others) to gather ideas from the community. It's a
blatant rip-off, yes, but it's a better rip-off because it's ours!  :)

If you have an idea that you think the UK Team should look at and maybe
elevate to the status of a project then add it to the list. I've made
the page as easy to use and clear as I can, but feel free to suggest
improvements.

What to do:-

1. Have an idea (this is possibly the hardest bit of the process)

2. Visit https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/IdeasPool#newidea and follow the
instructions

(which are basically - make sure the idea isn't already there, and if it
isn't type a short descriptive WikiName in the box provided and press
the button. You'll be taken to a nice (commented) template where you can
fill in the basics of your idea - only two lines are really needed - it
shouldn't take long, then save it)

3. Add your IdeaPage to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/IdeasPool - the
new page will be a sub-page of the IdeasPool.

4. Tell people about your idea on the mailing list

Then people can discuss here on the list and/or on the wiki page. If you
created an IdeasPool page it would be helpful if you take responsibility
for your idea page and keep it up to date with more details, but I'm
sure others will help if that's not easy for you to do.

I have created a sample IdeasPool page which is in fact my idea to
create an IdeasPool page :). It's linked on the above page.

I look forward to seeing (and contributing to) the ideas we get!

Cheers,
Al.