[ubuntu-uk] How to fix Gnome problem

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 29 19:20:40 GMT 2007

Daniel Lamb wrote:
> For the xorg setup run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg as I said before by
> pressing ctrl+alt+F1 then log in using your user name and password, then
> type in sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg you will need to provide your
> root password(which is the same as your users password), then run it
> through, from my experience the default options offered by the xorg setup
> will usually be the correct ones for your system.

Daniel >>> Thanks for your reassuring advice.  I've now tried the
reconfig.  Sad to say, I still get the 'Your session has been saved'
message when I click the log out button;  the proper log out screen does
not appear;  instead, the shutdown wav file plays, the screen clears to
the desktop image, and then the log on screen reappears.  Groundhog day!
  I have to do a Ctrl+Alt+F1, and issue the sudo shutdown 0 command to
get to a point where I can turn the computer off.

I think a reinstall may be the only solution.  :-(

Mac