[ubuntu-uk] Pen drive not automounting.

Andrew Jenkins andrew.jenkins at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 27 19:35:42 GMT 2007

OK here goes,

Using Ubuntu 7.10 for over a year and all works well.
If I plug in a pen-drive when running Gnome it will
automount and place an icon on the desktop, 'mount'
will show the entry:

/dev/sdc1 on /media/kingston type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,
shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,usefree)

and all is well.
Now the problem, if I connect the same pen-drive when
running KDE (which I use as default) it USED to work
the same (Desktop icon etc.) however it stopped working.
Now it will not mount the drive when running KDE unless
I do it manually with:

sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/directory

By the way, when I plug the drive in I'm running either
Gnome or KDE as a user (the same user in both cases).

What is happening here and how do I fix things?

Regards,

Andy Jenkins.