[ubuntu-uk] OT: Motherboard recommendation

Kris Douglas kris at softdel.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 21:36:56 GMT 2007

On 19/11/2007, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I think after my PC died last week it's about time for an upgrade
> (especially since my other half's Celeron I'm using is painfully slow!).
>
> Now I'm looking to upgrade to a dual core machine.  As my old PC was a
> Socket 754 Athlon 64 with DDR memory I'm going to have to replace my
> board, CPU, memory and video card.
>
> Traditionally I've been a fan of AMD.  I found their CPU's
> price/performance ratio was top notch, although I can't help but notice
> that AMD is getting trampled on a bit by Intel with the Core2 processors
> and I really don't want to have to wait until the AMD Phenom is released
> and prices have come down to a more reasonable level.
>
> I don't play games on my machine so I don't need anything fancy like
> multiple video cards.  I do play videos, music, browse the net and all
> things like that.  I'm trying to set my budget around the £150 mark, for
> a CPU, motherboard, 2GB memory and dirt cheap PCI Express video card.
>
> Now the problem is, I'm not sure what is considered a good mid range
> board these days.  I presume for about £150 I'm only going to be able to
> get something like the Pentium Duo (or a very low spec Core2Duo), I just
> wondered what would be considered a good board to match with such a
> processor?
>
> Could anyone recommend a decent board for about the £50 mark?
>
> Ta,
>
> Rob

Hi rob, for around that price you will probably do better with an Athlon,
good motherboard, 128-256 nvidia gfx card and 2gb ram...

have a look on aria.co.uk I find they have some good deals, and there is
Overclockers.co.uk who are also ok.

If you would like me to list some of the components I use in the servers i
make, which are pretty cheap, just ask :)

--
Kris Douglas
      Softdel Limited Hosting Services

      Web: www.softdel.net