[ubuntu-uk] Playing DVDs (was Re: Dell laptop latitude D420)

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 20:45:49 GMT 2007

Hi James,

On 17/11/2007, james at btguk.org <james at btguk.org> wrote:
> OK, sorted, found out what I was doing wrong with the key. I was trying to
> connect via WEP 128, and in fact it was WEP 64. So it is now up and running
> on a secure WIFI access.

Glad that's sorted.

> My next problem is, I tried to run a DVD movie and it would not run, so what
> do I need to look for and suggestions of where to look would be really
> appreciated.

You need to install libdvdread3, then start a terminal and enter the
following commands:

cd /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/
sudo ./install-css.sh

These commands worked for me. The libdvdread3 package is in the
universe repository, so you'll need that enabled.
There's more information (possibly different from the above) at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.