[ubuntu-uk] Buying A Laptop

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:03:01 GMT 2007

> This might sound stupid, but whenever I see a high-spec machine, I
> always feel it would be wasted on Linux.
>
> I've always installed and seen Linux installed on lower-spec machines
> (my desktop included) which is probably why.
>
> With Windows you could probably get a nice game or a resource
> intensive application to use, but with Linux, everything generally
> works well under almost any hardware (at least in my experience),
> which is not a bad thing.

I see where you're coming from, but I guess it depends on what you
want to do with your linux box...

I've watched programs like GIMP and Inkscape crawl to a near stop when
editing very complex images on my 2Ghz 512MB RAM laptop. I also feel
firefox become a little laggy when I've got a couple of tabs open that
have a lot of flash stuff going on on them.

I guess your computing experience is going to depend on exactly what
you use your computer for ;-)

Chris