[ubuntu-uk] Spam

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 13 18:26:11 GMT 2007

Hi Kris,

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 17:58 +0000, Kris Douglas wrote:
> Haha there are some spanners, they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near
> the Internet.
>
> It's like when you see those adverts that tell you to download a free
> ringtone... Staff at the company I do stuff for click those, when they
> shouldn't even be browsing the internet, and end up coming up to the
> office and saying "My computers got viruses and its really slow"..
> We're now applying globals that prevent anything being downloaded.
>
> ... spoons. There should be general computer awareness lessons to
> teach people OS independent computer skills.

Actually, if I'm being candid I'd like to see that expanded to what I
propose as the Common Sense Act 2008. Specifically, any act that can be
termed as gross stupidity should be punishable by a term of community
service wearing a dunce's cap. This would promote common sense and
prevent the current attitude of acceptance of the criminally stupid.

I also propose that this is extended as a legal defence, for example
civil cases where a burglar sues the owner of burgled property because a
guard dog bit them - what is your answer? Submit stupidity in
perpetuity.

This would need to cover computer use too and should include punishments
fitting to the crime, burned yourself with McDonald's coffee? Banned
from McDonalds. Installed a trojan because you clicked on an attachment
from an unknown source called "see anna kornikova nekkid[sic]" - burned
at the stake.

Of course humour would suffer but its a price worth paying. Such
classics as this quote from our squadron line book (every time someone
says something stupid they are entered in the book and fined £1):

Air trooper X: "Pepperoni pizza, please"
Naafi manager: "Certainly - would you like it cut into 4 slices or 6?"
Air trooper X: "Oh 4 please, I couldn't possibly manage 6."

Cheers,

Dougie Richardson                         //         dougie at lynxworks.eu