[ubuntu-uk] memory lane, was: Please can someone look at this and try to help

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Tue Nov 13 01:17:43 GMT 2007

** Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> [2007-11-12 20:04]:
> James Grabham wrote:
> > You're all really old, I cant remember before my familys 486 with DOS
> > 6.22 and win 3.11 for workgroups  (I was born in 1992!!) lol  I know
> > my Mum had a computer before that, but I cant remember it - I found
> > its dot matrix printer in the loft a while ago though.
> >
> Ahh, if it came with a Dot Matrix printer it would be an Amstrad PCW.
> Ahh, those were the days.  I loved Amstrad (Locomotive) Logo on CPM.
** end quote [Rob Beard]

I took a lot of stick when the Amstrad CPC464 came out and I bought one
to replace my Spectrum. I started with a ZX81, then Spectrum, but the
Amstrad really got me into using computers seriously. Before that it was
just games and programming. I used the Amstrad with a ROM box loaded
with wonderful software from Arnor to run a sailing club database and
print off labels - much easier than a hand bander thing we had been
using. I upgraded to a CPC6128 to get me through my degree with the aid
of CP/M with Logo, Supercalc and Borland Turbo Pascal (helpfully copied
onto 3" disks for my be a local computer store). I also got some work
done on my car in return for helping out a mechanic friend with his PCW.

Protext (all hail the best word processor ever written) followed me onto
my Amiga (mouse, GUI, eeek!) and I used that and DPaint to produce a
'brochure' for the IBM lab I was working in at the time. They wanted to
do one, but when they talked to the in marketing department and looked
into in house publishing decided it couldn't be done economically. I
came in the following day with a printout from my Amiga and costings
from a local printers that changed their minds. What did IBM know about
getting work done on computers?!

Then this horrible x86 architecture with DOS and Windows started getting
popular and took all the fun out of computers. Praise be to Linux,
without which I would have given up on computers long ago.