[ubuntu-uk] lack of command-line installation...

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Nov 12 10:52:57 GMT 2007

When I have to install Ubuntu on "challenged" boxes (ie. those with limited
memory) I do miss the old Install CD or, indeeed, just an "Install" option
on the grub menu that could avoid having to boot into the Live CD which is,
by definition, rather memory-hungry.

Would it be so difficult to have an "Install" option when the CD is first
inserted, rather than having to do that?  The overheads of having to run the
Live distro during the install process must be immense?  Whilst I appreciate
the Live CD concept is great in showing people what they are going to have
before they take the plunge, for people such as myself who install Ubuntu on
lots of boxes it's just an annoyance.

Thoughts?

Sean