[ubuntu-uk] Another happy Ubuntu user :-)

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Nov 11 08:43:14 GMT 2007

Chris,

Chris Rowson wrote:
>>> Anyway, that's a nice job you did there, when it comes to people doing
>>> as you said, "word processing and email" Ubuntu really sticks out as a
>>> green light, mainly because of how suitable it is for that, not all pc's
>>> are for the power user *cough Slackware *cough* and it's nice to see
>>> someone that is finding Ubuntu a comfortable distro to use.
>>>

> I recently tested Linux Mint (basically Ubuntu with gnome-main-menu
> and all the codecs preinstalled) on a non-techie user (my other half
> in fact).

I tried Mint recently in a virtual machine on my desktop. I had problems
watching NASA TV (it was during the recent shuttle mission). It would
start up, make the connection and then stop playing. Looks like it was
using mplayer to do all this. I had the same problem with mplayer on
gutsy. Did you ever try this and have any success?

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold