[ubuntu-uk] Just ordered an iPod.. Have I just made a big mistake?

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Sun Nov 11 02:47:25 GMT 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:29:38 +0000
"Kris Douglas" <kris at softdel.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi, a while ago I noticed a thread going on about the iPod Classic
> 160GB... Now I know, they're expensive and all that, so lets forget
> all that flaming...
> I was just wondering what the support in Ubuntu was like... Are there
> any things I need to look out for when I'm using the device on Ubuntu?

I'm thinking about getting one myself at the moment so have been
reading up on the linux support: doesn't seem to be any problems using
the ipod but a few of the docs I've found say you need a windows or mac
machine to set up the ipod initially (formatting the disk, updating
firmware etc.)

Before I do buy an ipod does anyone know of any other music players
with 60Gb or more of storage? Every other player I can find with that
kind of storage is aiming more at video so is bigger, has worse battery
life and costs more than an ipod. If it plays FLAC and/or ogg it gets
bonus points.

Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Geeks are for life, not just computer breakdowns.