[ubuntu-uk] wifi mini-survey

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 10 14:04:56 GMT 2007

London School of Puppetry wrote:
<big snip>
> Hi there I am using Ubuntu wirelessly on my lap top- but I don't know the
> answer to your list of techy questions, but I can ask a friend. What is the
> survey for?

Caroline >>> For me!  And I'm very grateful for all the interest shown
by friends on this list.  I hadn't had much response to a couple of wifi
questions, and I began to wonder whether the idea that Ubuntu was great
on the desktop should be taken literally:  widely used on desktops;  not
much on laptops.  And I was also aware of the many and various issues
people on forums have always had with wifi:  not just with drivers for
interfaces, but with getting encryption to work, and hiding ESSIDs

	Anyway, I hope everyone has been interested to see that about twenty
five of us reported having wifi operational (some on desktops;  many on
laptops).  And most people have their wifi encrypted - either WEP or WPA
- with pretty much everyone broadcasting the ESSID.

	Twenty five.  What proportion of the whole membership is that, Al?
About 20% (guessing)?

	Anyway, thanks again, everyone, for bothering to reply!

Cheers

Mac