[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 10 07:47:29 GMT 2007

London School of Puppetry wrote:
> Hi there- if I am able to run Feisty, will my computer be able to upgrade to
> Gutsy? Anything I should look out for?
> Caroline

Caroline >>> I'd recommend testing it first on your hardware by running
it from the live CD.  I've upgraded in the past on different machines:
some have been fine;  others haven't, and I've had to reinstall earlier
versions.

	If it seems to work with your hardware using the live CD, follow Kris's
advice about backing up your important files before upgrading, just in case.

	I'd also have a look the the Ubuntu 7.10 Release Notes on the Ubuntu
site, which describes some issues you may need to be aware of.

	I don't want to put you off, especially as many folk have upgraded
without difficulty.  My experience with issues around older hardware now
make me think that if I really need an older or slightly 'unusual'
computer to work well because I'm using it every day for important
stuff, then... 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'  But if it's  a
machine that you don't mind having out of action for a while if
something goes wrong, or you're upgrading for some specific reason
(fixing a problem is a good reason), then go for it!

HTH

Mac