[ubuntu-uk] problems upgrading

Robin Menneer robinmenneer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:34:26 GMT 2007

On 08/11/2007, London School of Puppetry <lspinfo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/11/2007, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:
> >
> > Spaces shouldn't matter...
> >
> > When you say "nothing happened" what do you mean?  If it returned to the
> > prompt that is not necessarily a bad sign...  it has probably worked...
> >
> > Sean
> > I typed, nothing happened...the typing is there and that's all. So I
> > closed the terminal window, tried to open update manager- nothing happens
> > synaptic packages...shows the same error message. If I was to back up all my
> > files, would it be an idea to reinstall with Gutsy instead of attempting the
> > update- the partial updates perhaps have caused this problem. I have now
> > changed the computer to Never- shutting down in inactive.

Caroline
I was foolishly tempted by its notice to upgrade from Fawn to Gibbon and
soon (about 2 hours later) got out of my depth and have had someone
(costing) else to sort me out, putting Fawn back because apparently, amongst
other problems, the early basic macminis have not enough RAM to handle
Gibbon correctly.  Really the Upgrade notice should have warned me of
potential difficulties, instead of being such a pleasant invite.  Only free
for those who already know?
Yrs   Robin