[ubuntu-uk] wifi mini-survey

Matthew Daubney daubers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:38:40 GMT 2007

Mac wrote:
> Friends >>> Following the surprisingly few responses to some recent
> questions about wifi, I'm beginning to wonder how many of us are
> actually using Ubuntu wirelessly on laptops.
>
> So here's a quick poll:
>
> Do you use Ubuntu on a laptop + wifi?
>
> And, if you do, do you use
>
> no encryption / WEP / WPA / WPA2
>
> with ESSID broadcast / hidden?
>

> Mac

I do use wifi, on my Dell Inspiron 6400, it's got an intel wifi chip in it:

0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection (rev 02)

This is attached to a WEP network ('cause the Wii didn't support wpa at
the time) with the SSID broadcast.

My fiancees laptop also has wifi in it, which she uses, which has a
different wifi card in it (broadcom I think?) which I got working with
ndiswrapper. Hopefully that will go with her Gutsy upgrade this weekend :-)

Don't know what her network uses...... I shall have a look tomorrow
evening though.

-Matt Daubney