[ubuntu-uk] (no subject)now: my messed up emails!

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Nov 8 11:20:35 GMT 2007

Hi Chris,

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 10:02 +0000, Chris Rowson wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 9:44 AM, STONE COLD <javad_ayaz at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > i already have a gmail account!
> >
> >  ive always thought thunderbird and evolution would always save the email on
> > my hard drive..thats why i never use it!
> >
> Not if you use IMAP rather than POP.

Just to be clear both pop and imap can do both.

By default POP allows you to download your mail and will remove it from
the server as it is downloaded. _However_ you _can_ tell your email
client to "leave mail on the server" rather than erase as you download.

With IMAP by default you also leave the mail on the server, and as Chris
says, download each mail on demand. _However_ with IMAP you can tell
your email client to download the entire mail which means you have a
copy of the mail cached locally. (This is what I do with evolution on 3
separate machines, so that I can access my mail locally on any one of
them. Yes it means that my mail gets downloaded 3 times but I don't mind
that).

Cheers,
Al.