[ubuntu-uk] Linux Mint

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 12:12:03 GMT 2007

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 11:54 +0000, Chris Rowson wrote:
> > Hi folks,
>
> [snip]
>
> > Has anyone else used Linux Mint, or have any thoughts?
> >
> > Chris
>
> I have used it and it is very polished but I have concerns at the way
> the distro comes with pre-configured codecs and basically completely
> ignores the concept of free software. Don't get me wrong I'm not against
> proprietary formats as such but given MS and the many patent trolls out
> there I do wonder if they are leaving themselves open to lawsuits.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dougie

Hi Dougie,

I did think about that and it's a valid point, and this software is
only of any use to people who don't care about the philosophical and
moral sides of free software.

I do think that it's a pretty good drop in replacement for ex-users of
Windows XP who mightn't care about free software concepts as such...

As for patent problems. This is something that always confuses me. In
this country we don't recognise software patents do we ?

Cheers

Chris