[ubuntu-uk] Web forum software for Ubuntu (Edgy server) - recommendations wanted

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Wed May 30 20:02:25 BST 2007

Hi all,

I'm looking for some "web forum" software to run on Edgy. Can you
recommend me something?

My requirements (in order of importance, most important first) are:

- Free as in beer
- Free as in speech (I might need to write a username registration
handler at some point)
- Has a backend that can live in PHP 5
- Has a backend that can run on a different server from the front-end,
and cope with multiple webheads
- Has an admin model that allows me to authorise a few other people to
be "user admins" to weed out the obvious SPAM
- Ideally, an anti-spam plugin (also free) that "sort of works like
Askimet" :-)

And please note that, yes, I really mean forums, not
mailing-list-server. Normally I hate web-only forums, but this
particular job has a customer base who are actually calling for them.

M.