[ubuntu-uk] Signing into Ubuntu from Windows

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Wed May 30 09:17:23 BST 2007

Hi Peter,

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 08:31 +0100, peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am sure this is finger trouble on my part.  I have a small home
> network.  I can not get into my shared Ubuntu folders from windows.
> SAMBA is running.
>
> I click on the computer, am asked for a user name and password, and am
> asked for a user name and password, and so on.  Never get passed the
> opening (log on?) screen.

Open a Terminal on the Ubuntu computer and type the following, replacing
'username' with your own username:

sudo smbpasswd -a username

Enter passwords as prompted and then try to access the shared folders
from the Windows machine again. You may need to restart samba - you can
do this by pressing System -> Administration -> Services and unticking
'Folder sharing service (samba)', then ticking it again after a few
seconds.

Hope this helps,

Phil

--