[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk website broken

Michael Wood admin at x3n.me.uk
Wed May 30 02:41:34 BST 2007

Alan Pope wrote:
> Thanks for the bug report :)
>
> I have commented out the offending code (the drop down). Michael or myself
> will take a look at it later on to put it right. It looks like a bug in the
> string manipulation used to grab the list of UKTeam pages from the Ubuntu
> Wiki which screws up the generated html.

This was the case, a rouge bit of html was being put into the selector
section (an "sp>") for some reason stopped khtml based browsers such as
konqueror from processing the rest of the page (i've filed a bug) the
page is back to being XHTML 1.0 strict

>> It's not just a case of someone not testing it on Konqueror, it's equally
>> broken in w3m so it doubless breaks disability legislation as well as
>> being plain rude to people who happen not to use the same browser as
>> the website author.
>>

> Whilst I appreciate that not fully testing in all the standard browsers
> delivered with Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc was somewhat remiss of us, there
> was no malicious intent, and you'll note the problem has been worked out
> rapidly.
>
> I now have konq installed locally on my Ubuntu system so that I can further
> test.

As now have I but It will never be possible to test in all browsers and
versions, which is why we do need people to let us know about these
problems. Which I would like to note are not a failing on our part in
lack of doing something to fix the problem. We are not aware of the
problem in the first place.

Michael

--
/\/\ichael [ email at michaelwood.me.uk  ]