[ubuntu-uk] Dell Ubuntu pricing revealed...

Josh Blacker jkblacker at gmail.com
Sat May 26 16:18:36 BST 2007

Remember that there's no costs involved in maintaining an Ubuntu machine -
no AV software to pay for, no copy of MS Office to buy, and support is free
and very good online (so long as your problem doesn't preclude internet
access!), so even though you may come up with indentical prices at point of
sale, there will be additional, hidden costs with a Windows machine to get,
for example, the same security as Ubuntu.

On 5/26/07, Andy <stude.list at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > I went direct to Dell's website, and compared an Inspiron E1505N laptop
> > (the Linux version) with an MS E1505.
> >
> > At first glance, the Linux version is cheaper, until you realise, it's
> > only got half the RAM and onboard graphics. Add those to the list and
> > it's $29 more expensive than the MS version...
>

> I thought I would take a look myself.
>
> And the first problem I hit?
> Where is the Ubuntu option?
> I clicked laptops and only got Windows. Had to go back to front page
> and reload till it came up with the Ubuntu banner, this is NOT a good
> start!
>
> Identical Processors,
> OS: Windows Vista Home Basic, Ubuntu (no support option).
> Identical LCDs
> Memory: Windows was 1GB, Ubuntu 512MB, upgraded to 1GB for $50
> Identical hard drives
> Identical optical drives
> Graphics: Can't match no options are the same for both
> The Windows ATI card may be on special offer so might be artificially
> lower price
> Could upgrade to nvidia for $79 (option not taken).
> (skipping Windows only options: sound, mobile broadband and printers)
> Identical batteries
> Wireless cards, upgrading windows wireless card to match Ubuntu's at a
> cost of $29
>
> Software for windows box set to "none" for all options.
>
> Final prices:
>
> Windows: $728
> Ubuntu:  $649
>
> Inaccuracies:
> Would have reduced cost of Windows box if I hadn't upgrade the wifi
> card, not much functionality out of that upgrade anyway ($29)
> Are the Graphics equivalent? Should I have upped the Ubuntu graphics ($79)

with the increased graphics it would have cost:
> Windows: $728
> Ubuntu: $728
> (hmm identical price)
>
> If I hadn't bothered pointlessly upgrading the Windows WiFi then the
> Windows machine would have been $29 cheaper than Ubuntu.
>
> So it all hinges on what you think is comparable?
>
> Of course i there was an Ubuntu option under the OS components it
> would be much easier to see what Windows was costing, and easier to
> find Ubuntu!
>
> Andy
>
> --
> First they ignore you