[ubuntu-uk] Preventing lightning strike & surges

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri May 25 19:55:57 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 19:32 +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:
> I have two mac minis, one of which will be converted to Ubuntu to
> replace my aged laptop.  There is an opportunity to buy gear to
> prevent lightning strike and damage from power surges to telephone and
> computers.  Is the best way to buy an auxillary power supplly, if so,
> what make and model ?  What alternatives ought to be considered,
> please.  We are in a bad spot for electrical storms.  Robin

Call me picky, but isn't it true that you can't *prevent* lightning
strikes, only try to get them to hit something other than your
aerial/golf club/tree/car/house?

Would it not be "just" a case of installing a lightning rod and
embedding the other end in the earth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_rod

Cheers,
Al.