[ubuntu-uk] Multiple Desktops

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Fri May 25 09:27:23 BST 2007

Hi Folks

Up to now I've been a dedicated follower of Gnome, well almost a year now,
and thought it'd be fun to try KDE and maybe a couple of the other esoteric
desktops out there.

My question is what is the best way to, initially, have both KDE and Gnome
on the same PC without them trying to interfere with one another.

My initial thoughts were to set up a new user specifically for KDE but I
don't know if that'd work, or indeed whether when doing things like updating
if the system would get it's nickers in a twist trying to update both
desktops.  And for that matter, when I've had enough of one particular
desktop and removed it, would it also remove dependencies required by the
other(s).

Actually, having written this down, the logical thing to do would be to have
two totally seperate installations, but I don't know!

Thoughts?

Ian