[ubuntu-uk] technical question

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed May 23 19:25:32 BST 2007

Quoting norman <norman at littletank.org>:

>> > I am very ignorant in these matters hence my question. There has been a
>> > lot of correspondence relating to the non-working of scanners in
>> > Ubuntu7.04. So, non techie me having read that the fault lies in the
>> > kernel thought 'why not change the kernel to one which is known to
>> > work'? So I did and it does the trick. Furthermore, the only thing I
>> > can't do, so far, is play a sound. My sound is on the motherboard.
>> > Suggestions would be very welcome.
>
>> Please can you open a terminal and type the following:
>>
>> lspci | grep Audio
>>
>> and post the output of the line you get in return to the list?
>
> norman at gruber:~$ lspci | grep Audio
> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)
> norman at gruber:~$

A quick google of the output from that command and "ubuntu" came up
with the following:

===================================

  Re: Audio (SB450) stopped working after upgrading to 7.04
Quote:
Originally Posted by djails View Post
To all of you with a ATI SB450 sound problem in feisty:
If your sound card is an ATI SB450 in a toshiba laptop like mine which
used to work in edgy but not in feisty anymore, here is the solution
given to me on the alsa-devel ML:
Code:

sudo rmmod snd-hda-intel
sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel probe_mask=8 model=auto

It worked for me. The probe_mask param allows the correct discovery of
the sound codec, which otherwise is masked by the modem.
if it does the job for you, make it permanent by adding "options
snd-hda-intel probe_mask=8 model=auto" at the end of
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
Let me know if it works for you.

For reference:
Code:

lspci -nnv -s 00:14.2
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio
[1002:437b] (rev 01)
         Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device [1179:ff10]
         Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
         Memory at d0500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
         Capabilities: <access denied>

geez man....you're a genius ....got it working in no time....now I can
listen to my Sasha and Digweed as much as I want ) Thanks....owe u one

=======================

The full post is here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415821&page=3 so give it a
whirl and see what happens.

You will need to be root to execute the modprobe and rmmod commands,
so open a command line and type

sudo su -

followed by your normal user password.

Hope this helps,