[ubuntu-uk] What do non-techies like the most about Ubuntu?

norman norman at littletank.org
Mon May 21 09:00:08 BST 2007

< big snip >

>         Ububtu is reliable, free and friendly - Windows isn't any of
>         these.

I have followed this discussion and others for some time now and would
like to tell you of my recent experience. I have used Ubuntu on my
desktop since September 2004 and have moved along through all its
varieties. I am not a techie but believe that I have a vague
understanding of some of the uses for Ubuntu and support its philosophy.
In my household there are 3 computers, a scanner and a printer linked
via a wireless network. The machines are used for work related
activities as well as for interest and pleasure. That is the scene.

On Friday of last week I updated from 6.10 to 7.04, which was an easy
and not too time consuming a process. Horror upon horrors, the scanner
does not work any more and the machines no longer link to the printer.
Now tell me, what am I to do? Here am I, in all good faith upgrading my
system and find I have taken several steps backwards. What has happened
to my confidence in a reliable and friendly system? So beware in
spreading the gospel of Linux and be aware of some of the pitfalls
awaiting.

One further point. I like reading items on usenet for which I have
always used Pan. My old Pan does not work anymore. A new version of Pan
has taken its place which expects me to set up from scratch and makes no
attempt to recover all the information and settings that I had on
previous versions of Ubuntu. Windows might do this sort of thing but
Ubuntu, never.

Enough, say no more.

Norman