[ubuntu-uk] Screen resolution issues with Ver 7.04

christopher chatfield me at chrischatfield.com
Thu May 17 22:57:01 BST 2007

Search for the Horizontal and vertical synchs of your monitor on the
web.  Look up available screen resolutions too.

sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add appropriate new resolutions to each of the the "screen" sections
(highest first)

in the section "monitor" put in the hor sync and vert refresh rates
for your monitor write out the file the ctl+alt+<=

if the xserver crashes restore the original xorg.conf
it should be in the X11 directory as xorg.conf~
start gdm and your back to square one, check your
monitor specs again and have another go.

Sometimes ubuntu seems to read the first resolution in the list
you might want this to be your desired default resolution.

I have an old 21" monitor with wierd specs I have to do this
any time I have a new install.