[ubuntu-uk] What do non-techies like the most about Ubuntu?

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed May 16 06:08:55 BST 2007

Quoting Chris Rowson <christopherrowson at gmail.com>:

> I thought it'd be interesting to find out what it is that impresses
> new non-techie users the most about Ubuntu.

I work on a helpdesk as a day job supporting windows 2K/XP and an
AS/400.  Most of our users know how to use a computer to get their job
done and that's it.  Any errors at all (from "my computer won't switch
on" to "the internet's gone down!!!!") are reported to us and we
basically tell them (after three, 1...2...3) "Have you tried switching
it off and back on again?" which, as it's windows, usually fixes the
problem.

One of our users who I can only describe as completely non technical
(she keeps doing house keeping on her "My Documents" folder and then
wondering why she can't locate files in the same place they were
before!) picked up a recycled PC from us the other day without an
operating system as we don't have licenses for that kit any more.

Quick as a flash, as soon as she had left the room I sent her an email
telling her about Ubuntu.  I sourced a copy of Feisty for her and she
installed it without any issues, including the Internet Setup.  She
then passed this PC to a charity who are using it for their daily work
without an issue.

So, to answer the question, the non-techies that I've spoken to like
Ubuntu for ease of use, quick installs and the fact that thinks "just
work".

Cheers,

M.
--