[ubuntu-uk] Dell Latitude 820

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon May 14 13:49:27 BST 2007

Robert,

Robert McWilliam wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2007 11:56:45 +0100
> Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm about to order a Dell Latitude D820 laptop and I will, of course,
>> be putting Ubuntu on it!
>>
>> I'm wondering about support for some of the hardware. If anycone can
>> confirm or otherwise if this kit works out of the box, I'd be
>> grateful.
>>

> There is a laptop testing team which brings together reports for what
> works on different machines:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam
>
> There is a report for a Dell Latitude D820, but it seems to have a
> different hardware spec from the one you're looking at as it mentions
> use of nvidea graphics drivers:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/DellLatitudeD820

Thanks, that's a useful link. I thought this had to be somewhere!

Nvidia graphics is a configuration option when buying the laptop. Since
I don't need really top spec 3D graphics, I figured the Intel on board
chip set would be enough.

> Intel graphics cards are usually well supported as Intel releases their
> own drivers, I'm not sure about the wireless card though. Luckily with
> ordering things to be delivered to you (I'm sure there is an actual
> term for that but can't remember it ATM) i the UK you have a period of
> time (I think either 7 or 14 days) to change your mind for any reason.
> So you can send the machine back if anything isn't supported (or if you
> decide you don't like the colour...).

I wonder if Dell would be bothered if I sent it back with Ubuntu on
instead of Windoze that it usually comes with! Could be fun.

Regards,
Tony.

> Q: What's orange and sounds like a parrot?
> A: A carrot.

LOL!

E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold