[ubuntu-uk] www.ubuntu-uk.org

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed May 9 14:17:10 BST 2007

Alan,

Alan Pope wrote:

> I have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying that flickr/google
> video are proprietary social networking tools that "we" in the open source
> community lack?

I think TheVeech is suggesting the open source community should
create/manage/run more social networking tools such as flickr etc.
rather than rely on big companies to do it for us and therefore
(perhaps) not provide support for Linux etc.

Personally, I think this would be very difficult. A service such as
Flickr must need huge resources for it to be successful (I mean in terms
of hardware, the disk space alone must be fairly huge). Such resources
do not come for free, so it either needs to be done by a company that is
earning money else where or the service itself has to get an income from
somewhere.

To be honest, I don't see the problem with Flickr! It's well supported
by F-spot. Perhaps rumours of some deal between Yahoo and Micro$oft is
worrying people.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold