[ubuntu-uk] Security on Version 6-06 LTS

Peter D Beattie pdbeattie at lineone.net
Tue May 8 15:14:11 BST 2007

Hello. I am a newbie to Linux system! My test bed is a partitioned
        Pentium 3 also running the old MS Millenium Windows no longer
        supported
        that I can access via the intial Linux boot choice command. I
        also run
        an XP Tower and Laptop all on broadband. Being an old retired
        guy I need
        some encouragement and advice. Can access most things but need
        advice on
        how much security I get from version 6-06. I run McAfee firewall
        and
        viroscan on my Laptop and MS XP Firewall and AVG Free on my XP
        Tower.
        Linux security is a 'black hole' to me. Have tried to install
        Snort and
        lost myself somewhere out there on the internet! I have
        downloaded the
        new OpenOffice version from 2.0 to 2.2 but lost this program
        somewhere
        in the strange Linux filing system! How do I install it? Many
        thanks.

        PeterD