[ubuntu-uk] Leaflets

Philip Wyett philip.wyett at gmail.com
Fri May 4 17:26:31 BST 2007

On 04/05/07, Dominic Forrest <dominic.forrest at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> The ntl service provided by the Set Top Box (i.e. using the Ethernet
> port in the STB) required that MAC addresses be registered.  The ntl
> service provided using a separate, external cable modem did not.
>

> Dom
>
> Michael Erskine wrote:
> > On Friday 04 May 2007 13:17:21 James Tait wrote:
> >
> >> I've documented the required process for both on LiveJournal (I can
> find
> >> links if anyone's interested), but it boils down to this: when you
> first
> >> connect your computer to the cable modem, you should get a private IP
> >> address via DHCP.  You need to register your MAC address (along with
> >> your account number and PIN I think), which is done via a web
> interface.
> >>  Then you'll be told to reboot your computer, after which you get a
> >> public IP address via DHCP.
> >>

> > One thing to note here, and I only mention it because your post has
> reminded
> > me, MAC address changes don't seem to matter: I have quite happily
> changed
> > routers connected to my cable modem without any need to contact NTL.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michael Erskine.

No STB or external connection for NTL, Telewest or other has required an MAC
registration
now for over two years. If any person asks for this on a service call,
please just remind them
that this has not been required for a long time and if they need
clarification to call QA for the
company who will give them what they need to know.

If anyone has any further issues, please email me and I will help resolve
the issue directly.

Regards

Phil