[ubuntu-uk] Desktop effects

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:50:24 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 09:39 +0100, Keith Bowerman wrote:
> Since I upgraded to Feisty last month, I have suffered a minor hiccough
> whilst booting up.
>
> When logging in, the Ubuntu desktop opens but without my four workspace
> icons at the bottom right of the screen, and any filer window appears
> without the minimise, maximise and close icons at the top right of the
> screen.  To counteract this I have to open System>Preferences>Desktop
> effects, click on enable desktop effects, then click on Use previous
> settings which brings back the missing icons.
>
> The problem is that I have to do this every time I boot up.  Does this
> happen to anyone else and if so, how have you cured it?

No idea about this.  Have there been any other reports elsewhere?  Did
you have a play with anything that was followed by this?

I'm speculating here, but try selecting the session you want when you
login (and making a successful one the default), in case that's
something to do with it.

I'd also take a look at the Sessions dialogue,

System > Preferences > Sessions

to see what's loading at boot time and if any changes are needed.

As for the workspace icons, just put them back (right click on the
panel, select 'Add to Panel' and drag and drop it wherever you want it
to be).