[ubuntu-uk] Loading Fiesty into Mac mini

Robin Menneer robinmenneer at gmail.com
Tue May 1 18:31:45 BST 2007

On 4/29/07, TheVeech <theveech at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 20:30 +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:
> > Does one just download the .iso file below onto the desktop, then onto
> > the HDD ?
>
> Download the iso
> Burn the disk image (iso) to CD
> Boot computer from the CD (this is the install)
>
> This sounds good to me except that 1.  I haven't burnt a CD before, but
> imagine that I just folllow the instructions but 2.  The CD drive in the mac
> mini has a reluctance to eject and I have to try it many times, including
> holding the computer at odd angles in an effort to persuade it to disgorge.
> Accordingly I am reluctant to use it.  I have an assortment of pen drives
> up  to 1gb and unexpectedly been given by my elder daughter, as her father's
> 75th birthday present, a brand new Western Digital Passport 160gb which
> perhaps can be used instead of the CD drive as a boot disc ?  Or will a pen
> drive do which I would prefer because I can easily store it away safely.

The order in with Applestore for the new mac mini.  When it comes I shall
first grrrr... have to copy my missus' files over to the new machine
grrr...in order to release the old one for Fiesty and me grrr...  As the
only applications she uses are iphoto (which should come ready loaded) and
Neooffice J (note the  J, and is no longer available on the web), this
should be a doddle (famous last words ?).  She is already using copies of
Neooffice J because the copy she currently uses every so often throws a
wobbly and she goes to a backup (& again & again).  Then  we can clean the
Apple Mac rubbish off the HDD and replace with magnificant Ubuntu and its
superb allied software. I need help in deciding how this new 160gb HD fits
in, please.  I think that you may still require details of my hardware.
What do you want and where do I find it ?  Currently my Ububtu machine can't
print via the Epsom Stylus Photo RX640 although the mac mini does ok - the
disc that came with the printer had apparently not heard of Linux.  Robin