[ubuntu-uk] LUGs

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 10:17:04 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 20:47 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 08:28:08PM +0100, TheVeech wrote:
> > But where is it written that people who disagree have to go at it hammer
> > and tongues or descend into personal animosity?  No doubt most of us
> > have been there, but at least some of us learn from it.  'Growing up' is
> > what I think it's called?
> >

> :)
>
> I can't claim to be an innocent party here. I have taken part in flame wars
> on numerous lists. I'm not proud of that, and I try to temper my reactions
> and delay my negative replies (or run them past someone else first) to
> reduce me doing that.
>
> > Too many fragile egos in too many areas, methinks.  Like you suggest, a
> > good admin/chair should be able to steer disputes towards some sort of
> > civilised and productive debate.  Maturity should do the rest.
> >

> Where exactly are you from and how long are you staying with us here on
> planet Earth? :)

LOL.  I've fallen into the trap of getting involved in flame wars, too.
I haven't devoted much time to thinking about this, but I've got a
sneaking feeling that an over emphasis on anti-MS advocacy allows such
ideas and feelings linger and leak into conversations between Linux
users.  We've got a much more positive message than much of the tracts
that I've come across.

I'd love to get it where much of the time spent hammering MS was spent
on our software and our users.  Most of the time, I couldn't care less
what some corporation is doing.  My software and users are better than
theirs, so that's that.